Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue

От George Neuner
Тема Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 05:04:42 -0500, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
<apetrie@aspetrie.net> wrote:

>"George Neuner" <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> My vote for an email client would be Thunderbird.  It runs on XP or
>> higher and you can import Outlook's PST files so as to keep your mail
>> archives.  Importing PST files directly requires Outlook be available
>> on the same system [there is also a less friendly way to do it via EML
>> files exported from Outlook where Outlook is not on the same system].
>>

>It's a common misconception that MS Outlook Express is compatible with MS
>Outlook. But in fact the two products are architecturally unrelated.

My understanding was that OE was based on the old (Win9x) Outlook.  I
know it isn't the same as the "enterprise" version.

I wasn't aware that OE used a different file format.  But, AFAIK, it
does still export EML files, so you can move your mailboxes into
Thunderbird (or whatever).

>I am considering Thunderbird as an MS OE replacement, but my understanding
>is that Mozilla has abandoned all but security-related support for
>Thundebird. I have been kicking the (email client functionality) tires of
>SeaMonkey under my Win XP. I believe that much of SeaMonkey is built on a
>Mozilla code base.

Yes and no.  Mozilla has Thunderbird on a slow development track.  It
does occasionally get new features, but mostly now by having some very
popular extension becoming built in.

Seamonkey was a fork from a discontinued Mozilla application suite. It
is not a Mozilla project, although it does incorporate Mozilla code
from Firefox and Thunderbird.

The problem I have with Seamonkey is that it tries to be all things to
all web users.  "Jack of all trades, master of none" is a truism.
YMMV, but I would rather have very reliable purpose specific tools
than an integrated suite which may do more but be less reliable
overall.

I'm not knocking Seamonkey per se - it seems to be quite well done -
I'm just making a general observation re: integrated application
suites.  Netscape failed in part because it bit off too much, trying
to do mail and news on top of the browser [and not doing them well - I
loved the Netscape browser, but it's mail and news interface was just
bad].  Mozilla discontinued its web application suite because too few
people wanted it.

George