Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 22.04.23 21:53, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> While testing a few other things on the connection settings page[1], I
> noticed the notes on the "tcp_*" family of settings. While scrolling
> further down the page, I found myself slightly confused over which note
> corresponded to which setting (example in screenshot).
>
> Given the nature of these notes, i.e. to say that the setting is not
> supported in Windows, couldn't we just add that text to the description
> of the parameter and remove the note? I think that'd make it a bit
> clearer which comment applies to which parameter.

I agree we could fold the notes (and other similar notes nearby) into
the main text.  Or we could just remove them, because the main text
already contains the information in more general form.

I wonder if the notes are even true.  The text for
tcp_keepalives_interval already says that it is only supported if
TCP_KEEPCNT is supported.  There is no specific code for Windows.
Random googling suggests that TCP_KEEPCNT does exist on Windows.