Re: Server format and recovery

От Márcio Aguiar Ribeiro
Тема Re: Server format and recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks for the fast response!

The hardware was the same of the previous, but I'm not sure about
Ubuntu version.
As I got the whole old server backup, I know that the Postgres version
is 8.2 by looking at the PGVERSION file. Not sure if it is 8.2.5, but
I imagined that it wouldn't make much difference.

I installed the postgres via apt-get, and the installation structure
was the same of the previous one. I even tried to copy the whole
Postgres  installation from the backup, but when I try to start the
server with the postgres command, I receive an error from the OS
saying it was impossible to execute the binaries. Now I'm thinking
that a 64bit version was installed.

I'll try to investigate this a little further and keep up with you.

Thanks for the help!

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Shane Ambler <pgsql@Sheeky.Biz> writes:
>
> > Márcio Aguiar Ribeiro wrote:
>  >> "FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
>  >> The database cluster was initialized with MAXALIGN 0, but the server
>  >> waas compiled with MAXALIGN 4." (translated from my language to
>  >> english by me)
>

> > My first guess is that the new postgresql binaries are 64 bit but the
>  > old install was 32 bit. (I don't actually know the conditions for the
>  > MAXALIGN value)
>
>  That's what I'm guessing too; see the previous report here:
>
>  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2007-12/msg00254.php
>  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-01/msg00023.php
>
>  The symptoms are a bit different (eg, large value instead of zero
>  for MAXALIGN) but that's not too surprising considering that 8.1
>  and 8.2 have different sets of fields in pg_control.
>
>  You'll need to get binaries that matched your originals and then
>  reinstall the database from your backup.

Marcio Aguiar Ribeiro