Re: Moving from PHP to Java: A result was returned when none was expected.

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Moving from PHP to Java: A result was returned when none was expected.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/15/2016 12:07 PM, Alexander Farber wrote:
> I only understand a quarter of what you guys are writing,
> but to me the JDBC driver throwing SQLException
> "A result was returned when none was expected"
> when my stored function is declared as "void" with

Because as I see it you used executeUpdate(), which is for doing INSERT,
UPDATE, DELETE directly. You are actually running function that hides
the UPDATE and returns a void resultset, which executeUpdate() does not
know what to do with. As was mentioned upstream try using executeQuery()
instead.

>     CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION words_skip_game(
>             IN in_uid integer,
>             IN in_gid integer)
>             RETURNS void AS
>     $func$
>     BEGIN
>

> is a strange decision. Why throw the exception, what's the benefit?
>
> Even if PostgreSQL does not have stored functions (???),
> why does not JDBC driver workaround that fact?

Because JDBC is meant to be used against many database engines and is
meant to be fairly generic?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com