Re: [HACKERS] RustgreSQL

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] RustgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 01/08/2017 09:19 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 8 Jan. 2017 17:10, "Joel Jacobson" <joel@trustly.com
> <mailto:joel@trustly.com>> wrote:
>

>     Is this completely unrealistic or is it carved in stone PostgreSQL
>     will always be a C project forever and ever?
>

> Incredibly unrealistic.
>
> [lots of other stuff I agree with]
>
> You'd have a lot more chance writing extensions in Rust though. If you
> can make it play OK with the exception handling in postgres and our
> memory management, at least. If you really wanted to push this
> forward... start there. Show how great it is.

Yeah. A few years ago Tom Dunstan and I started creating a sample
extension in Rust while he was here on a short visit. We ran out of time
so we didn't quite get it finished. Bottom line is it's possible but far
from straightforward. Rust's inbuilt build system makes life, er,
interesting. The fun of getting PG_MODULE_MAGIC in was one of the things
we had to deal with. We ended up using a small amount of C glue.

cheers

andrew