Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix mapping of PostgreSQL encodings to Python encodings.

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix mapping of PostgreSQL encodings to Python encodings.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06.07.2012 00:54, Jan Urbański wrote:
> On 05/07/12 23:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On tor, 2012-07-05 at 22:53 +0200, Jan Urbański wrote:
>>> The problem is that PLyUnicode_Bytes is (via an ifdef) used as
>>> PyString_ToString on Python3, which means that there are numerous call
>>> sites and new ones might appear in any moment. I'm not that keen on
>>> invoking the traceback machinery on low-level encoding errors.
>>
>> Why not?
>
> Because it can lead to recursion errors, like the one this patch was
> supposed to fix. The traceback machinery calls into the encoding
> functions, because it converts Python strings (like function names) into
> C strings.

In the backend elog routines, there is a global variable
'recursion_depth', which is incremented when an error-handling routine
is entered, and decremented afterwards. Can we use a similar mechinism
in PLy_elog() to detect and stop recursion?