How to solve the old bool attributes vs pivoting issue?

От Andreas
Тема How to solve the old bool attributes vs pivoting issue?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi

I do keep a table of objects ... let's say companies.

I need to collect flags that express  yes / no / don't know.

TRUE / FALSE / NULL   would do.

Solution 1:
I have a boolean column for every flag within the companies-table.
Whenever I need an additional flag I'll add another column.
This is simple to implement.
On the other hand I'll have lots of attributes that are NULL.

Solution 2:
I create a table that holds the flag's names and another one that has 2
foreign keys ... let's call it "company_flags".
company_flags references a company and an id in the flags table.
This is a wee bit more effort to implement but I gain the flexibility to
add any number of flags without having to change the table layout.

There are drawbacks
1)     2 integers as keys would probaply need more space as a boolean
column.        On the other hand lots of boolean-NULL-columns would waste
space, too.
2)    Probaply I'll need a report of companies with all their flags.        How would I build a view for this that
showsall flags for any

company?        When I create this view I'would not know how many flags exist
at execution time.

This must be a common issue.

Is there a common solution, too?

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: