Re: Question about load balance

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Question about load balance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/11/12 11:29 PM, Condor wrote:
> I think I'm trying to learn information what is the technique for
> managing large databases
> not to philosophize what was my server.

you handle large databases with a lot of fast disk, and memory, this
gets you into the terabytes.

clustering/load balancing would not do for this, other than needing MORE
fast disk (N replicas require N times the disk system of one
database).   clustering can provide active/slave failover for high
availability, or it can provide replicas for balancing read queries.
updates have to be made to all the replicas, so they wont be any faster
than a single server (in fact, will be slower due to the overhead of
replication