Re: Draft release notes complete

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Draft release notes complete
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 16.05.2012 22:38, Jeff Janes wrote:
> For item:
> Improve COPY performance by adding tuples to the heap in batches
> (Heikki Linnakangas)
>
> I think we should point out that the batching only applies for COPY
> into unindexed tables.  Nice as the feature is, that is pretty big
> limitation not to mention.

No, it applies to indexed tables too. However, if there are indexes on
the table, the overhead of updating the indexes will probably make any
speedup in the heap insertions look tiny in comparison.

The optimization doesn't apply if the table has BEFORE or INSTEAD OF
triggers, or volatile DEFAULT expressions need to be evaluated.