Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Gnanakumar" <gnanam@zoniac.com> wrote:

> I've already thought of converting this into a document and keep
> it handy so that I may want to refer back whenever I need.

I've put up a first cut at such a document as a Wiki page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections

Everyone should feel free to improve upon it.  I'll probably add a
"thought experiment" I've used a few times which seems to help some
people understand the issue.

>> A formula which has held up pretty well across a lot of
>> benchmarks for years is that for optimal throughput the number of
>> active connections should be somewhere near
>> ((core_count * 2) + effective_spindle_count).
>
> Our entire Production application stack is setup in Amazon EC2
> cloud environment, that includes database server also.  So, in
> that case, how do I find out "effective_spindle_count"?  I know
> "core_count" can be determined from Amazon EC2 instance type.  Per
> Amazon EC2, EBS volumes are reportedly a shared resource.

I think you need to experiment with different pools sizes.  Please
post results and/or update the Wiki page.

-Kevin