Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael,

> What is the use case for temporary tables on a hot standby server?
>
> Perhaps this is a noobie question, but it seems to me that a hot standby
> server's use by* applications* or *users* should be limited to transactions
> that don't alter the database in any form.

A very common use for asynchronous replicas is to offload long-running
reporting jobs onto the replica so that they don't bog down the master.However, long-running reporting jobs often
requiretemporary tables,

especially if they use some 3rd-party vendor's reporting tool.  For
example, the average Microstrategy report involves between 1 and 12
temporary tables.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.