Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought
Дата
Ответ на Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 02/27/2012 06:19 AM, Chris Travers wrote:

> For the sorts of applications I write, the costs of going with something like VoltDB would easily eclipse the
benefitsin every single deployment, and moreover this is not due to questions of the maturity of the technology but
ratherof fundamental design choices.  There are a lot really, really cool things VoltDB would be good at doing (from
statehandling of MMORGS to handling of huge numbers of inputs from a million sensors in real time, and providing
reportingdata on these).

> But those are niche markets.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

Yeah, same with me.  I use PG as both OLTP and data warehouse.  My problems are not facebook problems, and PG
transactionrate is much faster than I need (now or in the foreseeable future).

I could not really use voltdb because I'd like to have a very long history (5 gig and counting).  In his little
triangleI sit pretty squarely in the middle.  I want some OLTP and some warehouse, and PG is fast enough at both.

I just watched the video about CERN (also in the usenix list alonside Stonebreakers), and they describe their DB usage,
wherethey collect 4 billion rows of history, a day, on the heat and alignment of magnets.  VoltDB wont work there
either.(As Mike himself says, its not for warehousing, don't use it as such)

I'm just saying these are different tools for different jobs.  Your in memory tables wont help me, I dont really want
them. I'd rather have core development time on other things.

Its just like different programming languages... use the right tool for the right job.

-Andy

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: problem setting up
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: PSQL 9.1 Streaming Replication Windows 2008 64 bit Servers