Re: Feedback on database designer (1.15 Dev)

От Colin Beckingham
Тема Re: Feedback on database designer (1.15 Dev)
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
>> 1. The database designer opens up ok but it does not seem to matter if
>> you do so from a database or schema or not. First requirement if you
>> want to import tables is to select a schema, but unless you are already
>> on a schema or database when DD opens it is not clear how you can select
>> a schema after that. Say you have "Databases" or the server name
>> selected then you are not given a list of schemas to select from.
>>

> We only need to know the schema if you want to generate the SQL, and if
> you want to reverse-engineere a specific schema. Both of these wizards
> ask for the schema. So, I think it's pretty covered.

OK no problem, the only issue I see is that you are allowed to start a
wizard in an invalid context. The DD menu item "Import tables" is
visible and active right from initial startup of pgadmin before you are
connected to any servers. There is an implication that as part of the
wizard process you will be allowed to subsequently point at a server,
database, schema. But in fact in order to import tables you need to exit
DD, select the schema in the pgadmin object browser and then restart DD.
While you can start the wizard in the absence of visible schemas, it
will not proceed on click the Next button if no schemas are listed.
Perhaps I am missing something.

>> 3. After adding a new table, if you try to drag the table from the
>> 'model browser' into the 'database designer' then you get a "Table
>> already exists at this diagram" message and the table is not added or
>> seen. I found this puzzling after I had successfully imported tables
>> from a schema and then successfully dragged them into the designer
>> window. If you add a new designer window then you can drag the new
>> tables into that frame.
>>

> Are you sure you wasn't in another diagram? you may have more than one
> diagram (they are shown as tabs in the database designer), and you can
> add the same table in one/some/all diagrams, but you cannot add one
> table two times in the same diagram.

This must have been my error. It works fine now. I think that previously
the size of the displayed area did not allow me to see that the table
was already in the window, and since I did not think of scrolling down I
believed it was not there. The boxes seem to be added quite far down and
to the right by default. I realize this will be screen resolution
dependent, and also dependent on the area the user has chosen to display
so not sure what to suggest, but I think I would go for tight top left
(10,10) in the visible area (user could have scrolled anywhere) if this
is possible. Then you can easily see the Eagle has landed. Otherwise you
have to go looking for it.

>> 4. When adding tables from import into the designer frame a relationship
>> line appears linking two related tables, but the ends are confusingly
>> aligned. Attempts to make them line up better are not successful.
>>

> Yeah, that's one thing I would like to find a fix. The only workaround I
> can offer your right now is to double click on the line. It will add a
> new anchor that you can use "to add an angle" to a line. Not sure if I
> explain this correctly. Just try and see if it works for you. Anyway,
> it's just a workaround.

Yes, this was a good hint. I now see that the ends point at the table as
an object and not the columns/fields. I see that when the relationship
is selected the relevant key fields light up in red. Got it. Ideally I
suppose in a visual designer you would be able to drag end points from
one column to another but that implies major changes to your db
structure which might or might not be valid.

Another suggestion 1: in the dialog boxes where you select
tables/columns from among many to form a new set, users are accustomed
to being able to double click one item and have it automatically perform
an action such as join the set on the right or go back to the set on the
left.

Another suggestion 2: as a beginner with this tool one of my major
concerns is with destructive effects on the db you have imported info
from. The nagging question once you get to the end of your designing
process is "What effect will this have on my original db?" Perhaps none.
Maybe it is just a matter of how the prompts are worded/presented.

--
---
Colin Beckingham