Feedback on database designer (1.15 Dev)

От Colin Beckingham
Тема Feedback on database designer (1.15 Dev)
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Guillaume, I spent a few minutes looking at the designer in 1.15 Dev.
Looks interesting and impressive. I realize it is really early days yet,
but here are some comments from my OpenSUSE 12.1 Gnome 3.2 setup. If you
are not taking comments on this topic just yet let me know.

1. The database designer opens up ok but it does not seem to matter if
you do so from a database or schema or not. First requirement if you
want to import tables is to select a schema, but unless you are already
on a schema or database when DD opens it is not clear how you can select
a schema after that. Say you have "Databases" or the server name
selected then you are not given a list of schemas to select from.

2. Adding an empty table to a design works fine, but if you allow the
table properties default names then adding a new table after that is not
aware that you have added one table already and presents the same
default names, even though you are stopped from actually adding that
table to the design.

3. After adding a new table, if you try to drag the table from the
'model browser' into the 'database designer' then you get a "Table
already exists at this diagram" message and the table is not added or
seen. I found this puzzling after I had successfully imported tables
from a schema and then successfully dragged them into the designer
window. If you add a new designer window then you can drag the new
tables into that frame.

4. When adding tables from import into the designer frame a relationship
line appears linking two related tables, but the ends are confusingly
aligned. Attempts to make them line up better are not successful.

5. After adding two related tables with the relationship link displayed,
if you subsequently delete one of the tables from the designer the
relationship link remains in place. This is confusing since one end then
points to nothing.
--
---
Colin Beckingham