Re: Cannot connect remotely to postgresql

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: Cannot connect remotely to postgresql
Дата
Re: Cannot connect remotely to postgresql  (Willem Buitendyk <willem@pcfish.ca>)
Список pgsql-general
On 19/01/2012 17:27, Willem Buitendyk wrote:
> I have 8.2 installed on 64bit windows 7.  I have no problem making a
> local connection.  However, when I make changes to pg_hba.conf such
> as add:
>
> local all all trust

What is the exact error message you're getting?

Did you restart the server after changing pg_hba.conf?

Also, I don't think "local" rules do anything on windows - you need to
add a "host" rule as the connections are over TCP/IP (though I could be
wrong).

> I still cannot connect through a VPN.  On a hunch that my pg server
> was not using the config files in "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.3\data"  I changed the port in postgresql.conf to
> 5433 and restarted the server.  After doing this I am still able to
> connect the server using "psql -h localhost -U postgres -d xxx"  I am
> assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that I shouldn't be able to do this.

That does seem odd - you should need the -p option for anything other
than the standard port.

Is there any chance that you have more than one installation running on
the machine, and the other one is listening on port 5432?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie