Re: lost tablespace

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: lost tablespace
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
It'd help to know what Pg version you're running. Comments inline below.

On 11/10/2011 07:01 PM, Thorsten Strufe wrote:

> sorry, noob here. So we've just started using postgre and right at the
> start we had a hardware problem with a hard drive failing. We can still
> start postgre but a tablespace for a db that we don't even need anymore
> is lost. Now we would think that shouldn't be a problem, we could simply
> drop that db. postgre, however, doesn't allow us to, but tells us to
> vacuume the db first. Starting postgre singleuser and trying to run
> vacuum still gives us the same trouble.

It'd be nice if PostgreSQL would `DROP DATABASE' successfully when there
were missing files, just raising WARNINGs for those files. I'm not too
shocked that it's not implemented though, as the files backing a
database should never just go away, and if they do the database is
considered severely damaged at best.

> Now a naive question: is there any (sane) way to simply get postgre to
> entirely forget about the broken db - and that's it (dumping the other
> db and loading it back might not be the best solution, since it's rather
> large..)?

No sane way I know of. A less-than-sane way is to mess with pg_catalog
to get rid of the database, but that's unsafe at very best. I'd just
dump the other databases, then re-initdb and reload them; that's the
safest way by far.

> 2011-11-10 11:05:10 CET WARNING:  database with OID 17546 must be
> vacuumed within 999999 transactions

Now that's interesting. I wonder why it thinks the database is at risk
of OID wraparound? It could genuinely be, or it might be confused
because the files backing the database are missing.

Anyone have an opinion on whether it should be possible to drop a
database that's hit or nearly hit OID wraparound w/o a vacuum first? I
don't see any point vacuuming just to drop it, but this may be too much
of a corner case to justify the testing a special case like this would
require.

--
Craig Ringer