Re: setting timezone

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: setting timezone
Дата
Re: setting timezone  (Geoffrey Myers <lists@serioustechnology.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
On 11/09/2011 05:10 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> We are moving a number of databases to new hardware.  Some of these
> machines have the timezone set in the database differently then the
> actual location of the machine as they are access from a different
> timezone.  We were surprised to note that when we dump the database
> and reloaded it on the new machine, it did not retain the timezone
> setting.
>
> Is there a way to retain this information from the original database
> when reloading?
>
> Thanks.

Time-zone setting is an attribute of the server configuration, not of
the data contained in the database. Unless overidden by the timezone
setting in postgresql.conf, PostgreSQL will use the server's time zone
environment setting. You can specify a default time-zone for PostgreSQL
independent of the server's environment by setting "timezone" explicitly
in postgresql.conf.

Clients can override the default server setting with "SET TIMEZONE TO
...;" which is useful when a single server is supporting users across
many time zones.

Cheers,
Steve