Re: pg_dump from 8.4 to 8.3

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: pg_dump from 8.4 to 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Kieren Scott <kierenscott@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I need to migrate some data (a few GB's) from an 8.4 database to
> an 8.3 database using pg_dump. What is the best way to acheive
> this?

This is always a little tricky because you may have objects in your
later-release database which can't be represented in the older
release.  My inclination would be to dump with the later release and
hand-modify the file for each error you run into, until you get a
clean restore.  Be sure you have an editor which doesn't need to
load the whole file into RAM at one time, if the database is large.

Of course, an even easier route is generally to avoid moving
backward.

-Kevin