Re: My Query to insert and retrieve takes time

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: My Query to insert and retrieve takes time
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Shivakumar Ramannavar <shivasr@gmail.com> wrote:

> my problem is that it takes 8.314 milliseconds to update one
> record

> EXPLAIN ANALYZE  UPDATE terminal

> Update  ...  actual time=0.074..0.074

If you look at the EXPLAIN ANALYZE of the UPDATE, you'll see that
the UPDATE itself actually took only a small fraction of one ms.

My guess is that your write-ahead log (WAL) is on a 7200 or 7500 RPM
drive, and that you're committing each update separately.  Further,
I would bet that you're not going through a RAID controller with
battery-backup (BBU) cache configured for write-back.  And you're
also using a single connection to do all the updates.

Each commit must wait until the WAL is persisted, which can mean
waiting for a disk drive to spin all the way around again -- which
for a 7200 RPM drive takes 8.3 ms and for a 7500 RPM drive takes 8
ms.  Without better hardware, you face a hard limit on how many
database transactions can commit on a single connection based on
that rotational delay.

> There are around 300,000 update operations and it is taking approx
> 80 min,

One way to solve the problem would be to BEGIN a transaction, do
your 300,000 updates, and then COMMIT the transaction.  Another
would be to use a good RAID controller.  A third would be to turn
off synchronized_commit.  (Be sure to read the description of that
in the documentation to understand the implications.)  Or you could
use a number of connections working in parallel.

-Kevin