Re: Syncing Data to Production DB Server

От Adarsh Sharma
Тема Re: Syncing Data to Production DB Server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ben Chobot wrote:
On Aug 18, 2011, at 5:36 AM, Adarsh Sharma wrote:

Dear All,

I want some views on the below requirements :

1. I have a Postgres DB server with 25 GB database. It has more than 110 tables. I am using Postgresql 8.3 on a CentOs.
2. I have another system laptop that contains the same database but it is for testing purposes.

What I want ? If someone inserts some data in the laptop ( same database and tables as Postgres DB server ) , that data would synk to my Production Database server.

I thought the replication would help but it is not necessary that the laptop is connected to LAN always and if by mistake issue drop command, all goes in vain .

PLease guide me some ways or solutions .
Thanks Ben,

So.... to rephrase (and simplify):

- you have a main database
- you have another database which is a superset of the main database
No, both databases are same but on different systems.

- you want both databases to be able to accept inserts, deletes, etc.
Fore.g: One is Production Server and the other is simple demo machine. If someone inserts some data in demo machine, I want that data to be sync to my production server.
Now, I take complete backup of the database from demo machine & restore it in production server, which is very unusual way.

- you want to replicate inserts (only?) on the overlapping tables of the second database back to the main database (or do you want bi-directional replication?)
- these databases will often not be able to talk to each other

It sounds like Buccardo *might* be a solution for you. It allows for multi-master operation, which is what you seem to be looking for.

But if you want, say, inserts only to be replicated, and not deletes, you probably need to look into writing your own replication system in your application. If you keep the requirements strict enough it's really not that hard.
I want a simple technique through which I update my production server easily.

Thanks