Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 08/12/2011 12:28 PM, Waldo Nell wrote:
> I guess that means the OS cache is better for this particular use case
> than the postgresql cache?

There you go.  It's not magic; the database cache has some properties
that work very well for some workloads.  And for others, you might as
well let the OS deal with it.  The fact that you have the option of
adjusting the proportions here is a controversial design point, but it
does let you tune to your workload in this sort of case.

>  The fsync = off was because the production system runs on a uber expensive SAN system with multipathing over Fibre
Channel,it is>  on UPS and backup generators in a secure datacenter, and we have daily backups we can fall back to.

The safer alternative is to turn synchronous_commit off and increase
wal_writer_delay.  That may not be quite as fast as turning fsync off,
but the risk level is a lot lower too.  The first time someone
accidentally unplugs a part of your server, you'll realize that the UPS
and generators don't really provide very much protection against the
things that actually happen in a data center.  Having backups is great,
but needing to restore from them is no fun.

От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4
От: Waldo Nell
Сообщение: Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4