Re: possible ecpg compatibility problem

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: possible ecpg compatibility problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/08/2011 10:11 PM, Paul Tilles wrote:
> I have an executable which uses ecpg which was created on a system using
> postgres version 8.2.6. I sent it to a site with version 8.4.7
> installed. The executable fails with a memory fault.
>
> Is there a problem doing this?

With the amount of information you've given, it's impossible to know.

Start by obtaining a backtrace of your program's crash obtained using a
build of libpq and ecpg that has debug symbols enabled. This might tell
you what's wrong immediately, and if it doesn't it'll give you a clue
about where to start looking.

I also suggest doing a valgrind run on both the original 8.2.6 and the
new 8.4.7 versions. See if you have memory problems in the old version
that you were getting away with before.

Next, once you know where it crashed, try to produce a cut-down version
of the program that still works on 8.2 and crashes on 8.4 . Most likely
you will discover the problem while you work on this. If the cut-down
version clearly shows an error in ecpg, send the source code,
makefile/whatever, and any .SQL required to for a test run to the
pgsql-bugs list . If you can't make it public you could possibly ask
anyone interested in the bug to contact you off-list instead of
attaching/linking to the test case.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers