Re: Importing SQL file into PostgreSQL database

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Importing SQL file into PostgreSQL database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Elliot Voris <evoris@slcconline.edu> wrote:
> I work for a small college, where the library uses Evergreen to
> manage it's collection. The database is PostgreSQL driven. The
> server that Evergreen was running on crashed. The old server was
> running PostgreSQL 8.3. I've installed an updated version of
> Evergreen, including PostgreSQL 8.4.8.

Did that come as part of the Evergreen install package?  If not, did
Evergreen provide any advice on what to download or install?

> I have a backup of the database in a SQL file.

Made with the old version of PostgreSQL against the old version of
the Evergreen database?

> When I try to import the file into the new
> database I get the following output:
>
> postgres@server:~$ psql database < olddb.sql
> SET
> SET
> SET
> SET
> SET
> SET
> setval
> --------
>   23405
> (1 row)
>
> ERROR:  function xml_is_well_formed(text) does not exist
> LINE 1: SELECT xml_is_well_formed( $1 )

I would double-check what the supported method of upgrading
Evergreen is.  FWIW, it is generally much better to dump a
PostgreSQL database with the version of pg_dump matching the
database into which it will be *restored* rather than matching the
database version being dumped.  That can be worked around, but your
first concern should probably be whether the new version of the
Evergreen software will work with a copy of the database from the
old version.  You might be best served by installed the old version,
from which you have a dump, and then following the standard upgrade
procedure for Evergreen -- rather than trying to take any short
cuts.

Whatever you do, protect that dump until well after you have things
running smoothly.

-Kevin