Re: Help me start postmaster on a default installation of PostgreSQL.

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Help me start postmaster on a default installation of PostgreSQL.
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 7/07/2011 6:36 PM, Lord Voldemort wrote:
> I've sorted out things myself.
>
> Firstly IMHO this list is the appropriate place for my query as you'd
> see that what I really want is to use JDBC with PostgreSQL. Running
> postmaster was supposed to be a way to accomplish that.
>
> But as it turns out, newer versions of PostgreSQL have done away with
> postmaster completely.

Say what?

No, there's still a postmaster. You wouldn't ever be invoking it
directly, though; you use pg_ctl to control PostgreSQL if you installed
from source or from the EnterpriseDB packages. For distro packages of
PostgreSQL you use your distro's service management mechanism: the
"service" command, /etc/init.d/ scripts, etc.

If you're using distro packages of PostgreSQL, stick to the distro's
management methods.

> After default installation nothing needs to be
> changed. Services necessary for backend database access are started
> automatically at boot-up.

Note that PostgreSQL probably only listens on 127.0.0.1 or it may have
TCP/IP disabled so it only uses UNIX sockets. You may need to alter
postgresql.conf if you want to listen on other interfaces.

> After installing libpg-java (that's the JDBC
> driver package for postgreSQL) all that needs to be done is to add
> /usr/share/java/postgresql.jar to the java library. I use NetBeans so
> that was easy for me. I don't know how to do that when running
> applications from command line using "java /classname/" though.

Use the -classpath argument to the JVM.

Typically, though, you bundle the PostgreSQL JDBC driver within your
executable JAR and run it with "java -jar myapp.jar", using a
Main-class: entry in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF to tell Java what the entry
point class is. This is all basic Java stuff and has nothing to do with
PostgreSQL, though.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park
Ph: 08 9381 3088     Fax: 08 9388 2258
ABN: 50 008 917 717
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/

Сообщение: Re: Help me start postmaster on a default installation of PostgreSQL.
Сообщение: Re: Help me start postmaster on a default installation of PostgreSQL.