Re: Remote connection issues

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Remote connection issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/23/11 3:24:12 AM, Aritz Dávila wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have installed postgresql 8.4 on Ubuntu server 10.4. I would like to have
> remote access to this database so after reading I found out that modifying
> pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf will allow me to access remotely.
>
> The postgresql database is on 192.168.2.122. The port 5432 is open, checked it
> with nmap -p1-65535 localhost. The server is comunicating with other pcs from
> the subnet, I can connect to it through ssh.
>
> Here is what I have done:
> I enabled the following on the postgresql.conf file:
> listen_addresses = '*'
> port = 5432
>
> My subnet is under 192.168.2.xxx so I added the following to the pg_hba.conf:
> host    all     all     192.168.2.0/32  trust

Ditto Raymond that you probably mean /24 here.

> After doing all this things, if I try to connect remotely I got a connection
> refused error.
> psql -h 192.168.2.122 -d database
> psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
>          Is the server running on host "192.168.2.122" and accepting
>          TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> Another strange thing is the following one, if I do the following on the
> database server: psql -h localhost -d database, I grant access but if I do the
> following psql -h 192.168.2.122 -d database on the database server, I got a
> connection refused error.

Given that this is Linux, I would guess that there's some SELinux stuff
enabled by default that's disallowing the connection, and that it really
doesn't have anything to do with PostgreSQL.  I've had personal
frustrations (and watched many others as well) with SELinux default
configs that tend to deny lots of access by default and not really
log anything telling you that they're denying it.

Could also be a firewall rule or any other OS mechanism that limits/
controls access through IP.  With -h localhost, you're probably
connecting through the unix domain socket, which isn't controlled
by any firewall I'm aware of, and seems to be ignored as always
safe to allow by most SELinux configs.

May want to consider disabling SELinux altogether (even if only as
a temporary debugging step) and see if things start to work.

--
Bill Moran