Remote connection issues

Hi list,

I have installed postgresql 8.4 on Ubuntu server 10.4. I would like to have
remote access to this database so after reading I found out that modifying
pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf will allow me to access remotely.

The postgresql database is on 192.168.2.122. The port 5432 is open, checked it
with nmap -p1-65535 localhost. The server is comunicating with other pcs from
the subnet, I can connect to it through ssh.

Here is what I have done:
I enabled the following on the postgresql.conf file:
listen_addresses = '*'
port = 5432

My subnet is under 192.168.2.xxx so I added the following to the pg_hba.conf:
host    all     all     192.168.2.0/32  trust

I have also tried adding the IP of the pc which I'm connecting:
host    all     all     192.168.2.20/32  trust

and also like this:
host    all     all     192.168.2.20 255.255.255.0  trust

After doing all this things, if I try to connect remotely I got a connection
refused error.
psql -h 192.168.2.122 -d database
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "192.168.2.122" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Another strange thing is the following one, if I do the following on the
database server: psql -h localhost -d database, I grant access but if I do the
following psql -h 192.168.2.122 -d database on the database server, I got a
connection refused error.

Any idea on what I have miss or did wrong?

Cheers,

Aritz Davila
www.axios.es