Re: patching the OS of a 9.0.4 db with hot standby

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: patching the OS of a 9.0.4 db with hot standby
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ray Stell wrote:
> I want to do OS patching on prod and hot standby.  What is the advised
> procedure for maintenance on the two systems?  I would think patching
> the standby should come first in case it blows something up. Oracle has
> a defer switch you can throw on prod to tell it to relax on log shipping
> to the standby.  Do we have that here?

Your intuition here is reasonable--test on the standby, if things go
wrong consider reversing the patch, with no impact on the master.  It's
not covered in the main because that tends not to cross over into OS
management considerations.

The main parameter you could consider tweaking in this case is
wal_keep_segments, which will let you adjust how long the master queues
things for the standby before it gives up.  If you really do lose the
standby, you can run out of disk space on the master eventually if you
haven't set this properly.