Re: Strange behavior of child table.

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Strange behavior of child table.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 06/01/2011 02:07 AM, Jenish wrote:
> select * from Round_Action where action_id =50000 limit 100 →
> execution time 80 sec
>
> select * from Round_Action_CH1 action_id =50000 limit 100 → execution
> time 0.1 sec

First off:  each of the child tables needs to have the index created on
them.  That doesn't get inherited just by putting it on the master.

If you already did that, try running these both with "EXPLAIN". Sharing
the two query plans here would help figure out what's happening.
Showing the definition of the index on one of the child tables would be
helpful too.

There are some optimizer limitations in PostgreSQL versions before 9.0
that prevent it from using an index on the child tables in some
situations where people expect it to, which includes aggregates like
MIN/MIN.  I'm not sure if your LIMIT case is running into the same
issue, the plan will help confirm what's going on.