Re: JDK1.7 support

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: JDK1.7 support
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 1/04/2011 6:13 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> [git] was sort of mentioned at pgeast. What is the upside ?

The #1 biggest upside is Github. I love it, and I bet you will too if
you try it. Think CVSweb times a million, built on a distributed
revision control system that can handle push/pull requests, trivial
creation of private feature branches, etc. You won't want to go back to
using other systems.

Even if you don't mirror to GitHub, git still makes it MUCH nicer for
3rd parties to develop patches to PgJDBC, especially if those patches
take a while and need to track the PgJDBC mainline. Being able to create
a personal feature branch is great; being able to share it when you want
to is even better.

Frankly, I personally also just love git's locally cloned repository.
You forget what it's like doing an 'svn diff' or 'cvs diff' over
revisions or dates after a while, and just get used to using the history
and the tags in a way you wouldn't when there's all that annoying lag.

I follow the Glassfish server, and constantly wish their svn was at
least mirrored to git, because pulling changes is so much faster, and
working with the working copy is so much quicker and easier. Of course,
that's a truly gigantic codebase, so the downside in the case of
glassfish would be a horrific initial clone size. Not so much an issue
with PgJDBC.

--
Craig Ringer