Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine

От damien clochard
Тема Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Le 15/03/2011 13:33, Gilberto Castillo Martínez a écrit :

>> Hum, actually i'd be much more comfortable with very few money involved
>> in this. If you pay some writers, than you need to pay them all. With
>> writers all round the globe, different standards of living, different
>> work laws, different copyright laws, embargos, whatsoever... this is
>> gonna be a nightmare.
>>

> There are countries that PostgreSQL users group is not organized or no
> such case how to print magazines?
> Or they will not get it right?

Well that's a problem indeed. You don't need an official PG user group
to print the magazine, any individual could do it. However it requires
money and time, that's for sure. Like i said people can pay for the
printing and then sell the magazine to get their money back. Even then
the initial money required might too high and in that case non-profit
associations such as PGUS, PGEU or SPI may help.

> For me the "editor" is fundamental and it is not the reviewer and the
> writer, there are certain skills to place articles, etc. that only
> someone who can trade.

I totally agree with that and i think the word "editor" is ambivalent
and should be detailled because it's causing a lot of misunderstanding.
After some research, here's the english definitions i've found :

The **Editor in chief** ( "Rédacteur en Chef" in french ) is the one who
decides what articles are accepted or not. He/She write the editorial.
He/She is basically responsible for the content of the magazine.

The **Copy Editor** ( "Secretaire de Rédaction" in French ) is the one
that will correct, cut, clarify the articles. He/She can rewrite  some
part of the text to make match publisher's style. He/She might also
write headlines and titles.

The **Layout Editor** ( "Maquettiste" in French ) is doing the page
design and adjusting positions, image sizes, colors, fonts, etc. He/She
generally uses Scribus or inDesign or Quark....

Note that i might be completely wrong with these definitions. They are
based on what i read on wikipedia and on my own experience with a local
paper media in France. Please correct me if i'm saying stupid things :)

Anyway for now, i'm doing all these 3 jobs at the same time, but of
course any help is welcome !

I think it's important to have an editor-in-chief who can take decision
and have an overall vision of the magazine. This role could be rotating
at each issue.

The Copy Editor is the key because it's the link between
editor-in-chief, the writers and the layout editor. That would be great
to have several people here.

Then we'll need to have 1 Layout editor for each language. Like i said
98% of the layout will stay unchanged but with translations there will
lots of tiny adaptations on each pages.

After the layout editor comes the reviewers ("proof-readers").

All in all, here how i see the organisation

For the english version :

- 1 Editor in Chief
- 1 or 3 Copy Editor(s)
- 1 or 2 Layout Editors
- 3 or 4 Reviewers

For each local version :

- 2 or 3 translators
- 1 Layout Editor
- 3 or 4 Reviewers

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org

Сообщение: Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine
Сообщение: Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine