Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dimitri,

On 02/12/2011 11:18 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> Are you volunteering? ;)

Once upon a time, I started such an approach, see packages.bluegap.ch.
However, I didn't upgrade these packages for quite some time, because I
didn't need them anymore for my day job.  I received at least two mails
thanking me for this service.  (And judging from the server logs, I'm
afraid they still use that unmaintained repository).

> Now, what I think I would do about the core package is a quite simple
> backport of them, using Martin's excellent work.

Yeah, I've mostly run into Debian specific compatibility issues (like
newer debhelper versions and stuff like that).

Another major annoyance might be that (IIRC) postgresql-common has the
knowledge about which Postgres versions are supported.  So you don't
ever want the Debian package to override the one you are providing.
However, that means you either need to always be ahead of the Debian
repo (version wise) or you need to rename that package (to something
that's easier to your ears, like postgres-common *ducks*)

> Do we want our own QA
> on them?  If yes, I think I would need some help here, maybe with some
> build farm support for running from our debian packages rather than from
> either CVS or git.

I once had an issue with an upgrade.  Testing that sucks big time,
because the number of combinations grows exponentially, and I didn't see
any good way to automate that kind of testing.

But yeah, as long as Debian itself doesn't provide at least the newest
few major versions still supported upstream, it would certainly make
sense for the Postgres project to provide its own Debian / Ubuntu
repositories.

Regards

Markus Wanner