Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:

> Yes, but the database is recovered to the consistent state as of
> the pg_start_backup command, as I pointed out to you before.
> Results of transactions that commit after the pg_start_backup
> command will not be in the backed up database.

I doubt you.  The transactions between pg_start_backup and
pg_stop_backup must all be applied to get to a consistent state.
That means you will be *at least* to the point of the stop.  If
there are more WAL files available to apply, and you don't tell it
otherwise, it will keep going *past* the stop point until the
attempt to get a WAL file fails.

It sounds to me more like the OP isn't following all the
instructions for a PITR recovery, and is instead falling into crash
recovery.  That won't work on a copy made while a database was being
modified.

-Kevin