Re: SELECT INTO large FKyed table is slow

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: SELECT INTO large FKyed table is slow
Дата
Re: SELECT INTO large FKyed table is slow
Список pgsql-performance
Mario Splivalo wrote:
> I'll try what Pierre suggested, on whole new filesystem. This one did
> get quite filled with thousands of files that I deleted while the
> database was working.
>
>     Mario

Yes, that is a good idea. That's the reason why we need a
defragmentation tool on Linux. Unfortunately, the only file system that
currently has a decent defragmentation tool is XFS and that is a paid
option, at least with Red Hat. Greg Smith has recently posted a
wonderful review of PostgreSQL on various file systems:

http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/en/2010/04/the-return-of-xfs-on-linux.html

There is a operating system which comes with a very decent extent based
file system and a defragmentation tool, included in the OS. The file
system is called "NTFS" and company is in the land of Redmond, WA where
the shadows lie. One OS to rule them all...

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA