Re: Best Linux filesystem for Postgres data store ?

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Best Linux filesystem for Postgres data store ?
Дата
Re: Best Linux filesystem for Postgres data store ?  (Steve Francis <sfrancis@logicmonitor.com>)
Re: Best Linux filesystem for Postgres data store ?  (Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
"Lello, Nick" <nick.lello@rentrakmail.com> wrote:

> What is considered the best filesystem to use for postgres data
> stores ?

I held off for a bit to see if someone else would jump in with a
comparison of filesystems, but so far nobody has taken the bait.
The reason I held off is that the only reasonable answer I can think
of is, "It depends."

Personally, I would stay away from any filesystem without journaling
for allocations; which, for example, leaves out ext2.  For various
reasons I would also avoid ReiserFS.  We've had good luck with xfs
in our shop.

There are some issues with recoverability of some file systems in
some circumstances.  There are often important configuration or
mount option issues.  What choices you make there will depend
heavily on your usage.  (A social networking site with data
replicated to multiple servers may prefer speed over recoverability
of any single server; most installations will not.)

Your RAID configuration and controllers will likely make a bigger
difference than your filesystem choices.  Be sure to get good RAID
controllers with battery-backed (BBU) cache, configured for
write-back.

If you post with more particulars, you will probably get more people
jumping in with more specific advice.

-Kevin