Re: Pre-Allocate tablespace on disk

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Pre-Allocate tablespace on disk
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Le 15/11/2010 20:42, Chris Ruprecht a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to pre-allocate tablespace on disk before adding data and indexes.
> My understanding is:
> PG writes data into files sequentially. If more space is needed, disk space is requested from the OS and if there is
space,the OS will give PG a file system block and PG will write data/indexes until that block is full and so on.
> Other database that I have worked with before and that I'm still working with, allow you to pre-allocate disk space
soyou get huge chunks of contiguous space at one, which has major impacts on database performance.

> Can this be done with PG at all?

No. A tablespace is a directory on PostgreSQL. And you can't allocate
space for a directory.

> If not, is this planned for any time in the future?

AFAICT, nope.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

От: Chris Ruprecht
Сообщение: Pre-Allocate tablespace on disk
От: Samuel Stearns
Сообщение: Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?