in linux, what user do i install postgres under?

От Fred Parkinson
Тема in linux, what user do i install postgres under?
Дата
Re: in linux, what user do i install postgres under?  (Leif Biberg Kristensen <leif@solumslekt.org>)
Re: in linux, what user do i install postgres under?  (Andreas <maps.on@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-novice
I am a windows user that is trying to switch to linux.

I want to install postgresql on my local machine (suse linux) as part of a development environment.

My question is: what user do I install postgres under?  I know postgresql creates a postgres user, so I can't create that from the beginning and install from that account.  So, what is the relation between the account I install under, and postgresql?  Can I use any login, do I need to log in as root, or is there some other user/capability I should sign on with to install postgresql under?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments