Re: Refactoring the Type System

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Refactoring the Type System
Дата
Re: Refactoring the Type System  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 11/12/2010 11:34 AM, David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For the past couple of years, I've been hearing from the PostGIS
> people among others that our type system just isn't flexible enough
> for their needs.  It's really starting to show its age, or possibly
> design compromises that seemed reasonable a decade or more ago, but
> are less so now.

This is so general as to be quite meaningless to me. What is it that is
wanted that we don't have. (And don't say "flexibility", that's way too
general - say something much more concrete and specific. If you want
flexibility we can store everything as text, but I doubt you'll like the
result.)

cheers

andrew