Re: Protecting against unexpected zero-pages: proposal

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Protecting against unexpected zero-pages: proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> 6. This would require us to be more aggressive about VACUUMing
> old-cold relations/page, e.g. VACUUM FREEZE.  This it would make
> one of our worst issues for data warehousing even worse.
I continue to feel that it is insane that when a table is populated
within the same database transaction which created it (e.g., a bulk
load of a table or partition), that we don't write the tuples with
hint bits set for commit and xmin frozen.  By the time any but the
creating transaction can see the tuples, *if* any other transaction
is ever able to see the tuples, these will be the correct values;
we really should be able to deal with it within the creating
transaction somehow.
If we ever handle that, would #6 be a moot point, or do you think
it's still a significant issue?
-Kevin

От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Protecting against unexpected zero-pages: proposal
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Build farm server database migration complete