Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Rob Wultsch  wrote:

> I really would like to work with PG more and this seems like
> [full_page_writes] would be a significant hindrance for certain
> usage patterns. Lots of replication does not take place over gig...

Certainly most of the Wisconsin State Courts replication takes place
over WAN connections at a few Mbps.  I haven't seen any evidence that
having full_page_writes on has caused us problems, personally.

In the PostgreSQL community you generally need to show some hard
numbers from a repeatable test case for the community to believe that
there's a problem which needs fixing, much less to buy in to some
particular fix for the purported problem.  On the other hand, if you
can show that there actually *is* a problem, I've never seen a group
which responds so quickly and effectively to solve it as the
PostgreSQL community.  Don't get too attached to a particular
solution without proof that it's better than the alternatives,
though....

-Kevin