Re: Timeout and wait-forever in sync rep

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: Timeout and wait-forever in sync rep
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/15/2010 05:43 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 21:41 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
>> As the result of the discussion, I think that we need the following two
>> parameters for the case where the standby goes down.
>
>> * replication_timeout
>>    This is the maximum time to wait for the ACK from the standby. If this
>>    timeout expires, the master closes the replication connection and
>>    disconnects the standby. This parameter is just used for the master
>>    to detect the standby crash or the network outage.
>>
>>    We already have keepalive parameters for that purpose.
>
> Yes, I had thought we would just use the keepalives...
>
>> But they cannot
>>    detect the disconnection in some cases. So replication_timeout needs
>>    to be introduced for sync rep.
>
> When exactly don't the keepalives work?

well tcp level keepalives are not terribly portable(or can only be
partially controlledd from the app) and on some platforms have lower
limits that are in the minutes which is too long for a lot of usecases.
The keepalive usage we have in 9.0 is mostly for removing an annoyance
on some major platforms but depending on them for a major feature like
timeouts in sync rep is probably not a good idea.

Stefan