Re: recovery.conf location

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: recovery.conf location
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02.10.2010 00:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com>  writes:
>> Then instead of having a trigger file, the admin could just update the
>> status file in recovery.conf and save it (or overwrite the file).
>
> This doesn't seem like a terribly bright idea.  We've expended megabytes
> of list traffic on arguing about automatic updates of config files, and
> still don't have a generally acceptable solution.  Now you want to make
> standby-mode transitions contingent on solving that problem?
>
> Keep the state separate from the config, please.

There is also a permissions problem if whatever triggers the failover
needs to modify a config file. A separate trigger file can be in
/var/run/foo or something, but recovery.conf is in the data directory.
You don't want to give monitoring tools that decide on failover write
access to the data directory.