Re: Merge replication with Postgresql on Windows?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Merge replication with Postgresql on Windows?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
novnovice wrote:
> My use case would involve a primary postgresql database and several
> postgresql databases on disconnected notebook computers. All dbs need to be
> able to support updates inserts etc; and then hopefully the replication
> software would help with things like conflict resolution.

The main PostgreSQL compatible software that's good at this role is
Bucardo:  http://bucardo.org/

It allows having multiple masters, so each of your disconnected nodes
would each be one.  And then when they reconnect, they asynchronously
replicate back to the big master.  The exact way in which conflict
resolution is done is something you can provide a handler for.  So it
handles most of the dirty work of figuring out what's changed via
triggers, and you just plug in the application logic that makes sense
for you in order to resolve any conflicts.

You are correct that the built-in replication features in 9.0, and most
of PostgreSQL replication software, it not really suitable for your
situation.  Bucardo probably is.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us