Re: Needs Suggestion

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Needs Suggestion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 22/09/10 11:14, subham@cse.iitb.ac.in wrote:

> How can I increase the stack depth limit ? Is it only by modifying the
> postgres.conf file, but there I cannot increase the stack depth beyond 4
> MB.
>
> Actually, my problem is that, when I set the stack base address of the
> child thread using the POSIX library function "pthread_setstackaddr()", I
> am unable to access the memory contents of its parent. The data-structures
> in the parent are either getting destroyed or unaccessible when moving to
> the context of the child thread.

It is not a good idea to use threads in server code. PostgreSQL server
code is not thread-safe, things will break.

Assuming that you're not actually doing that but using threads in the
client instead, max_stack_depth should have no effect on you as it only
affects the server.

But you really should find another way to communicate between threads.
Stacks should be treated as thread-private. Use malloc() or something
and global variables.