Re: Streaming a base backup from master

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> what I'd like to see is protocol extensions that allow an external
> copy of rsync to be invoked; not build in rsync, or tar, or
> anything else that we could get off-the-shelf.
The complexities of dealing with properly invoking rsync externally
could well require more code and be considerably more fragile than
passing the data through the existing SR connection; particularly
since to get the full benefits of rsync you need to be dealing with
a daemon which has the appropriate modules configured -- the
location of which you wouldn't easily know.
If we were talking about re-implementing rsync, or doing more than a
rough approximation, kinda, of 5% of what rsync does, I'd be with
you.
-Kevin

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Streaming a base backup from master