Re: Confused by 'timing' results

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM, A J <s5aly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> The problem I am trying to solve is:
>> measure accurately both the database server time + network time
>> when several clients connect to the database from different
>> geographic location.  All the clients hit the database
>> simultaneously with a long script each of insert/update/select
>> queries.
>
> Then that's what you should test.  create long scripts, run them
> from different locales, and measure the overall time differences,
> if any, of the same file from different locales.

I'm inclined to agree with Scott.  The effects of the network come
into play in several different ways, and I can't think of a better
way to isolate those effects from the query run time itself than to
run exactly the same queries on the server itself and from the
various remote locations.  Subtract the server-based time from each
location's time to find the impact of the network.  Doesn't that
address your problem fairly directly and accurately?

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Сообщение: Re: Confused by 'timing' results