Re: git: uh-oh

От Max Bowsher
Тема Re: git: uh-oh
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 20/08/10 18:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> Max Bowsher <maxb@f2s.com> writes:
>> The history that cvs2svn is aiming to represent here is this:
>
>> 1) At the time of creation of the REL8_4_STABLE branch, plperl_opmask.pl
>> did *not* exist.
>
>> 2) Later, it was added to trunk.
>
>> 3) Then, someone retroactively added the branch tag to the file, marking
>> it as included in the REL8_4_STABLE branch. [This corresponds to the git
>> changeset that Robert is questioning]
>
> Uh, no.  We have never "retroactively added" anything to any branch.
> I don't know enough about the innards of CVS to know what its internal
> representation of this sort of thing is, but all that actually happened
> here was a "cvs add" and a "cvs commit" in REL8_4_STABLE long after the
> branch occurred.  We would like the git history to look like that too.

When I try reproducing these circumstances locally, that is executing a
"cvs add" and a "cvs commit" of a file on a branch where that file
already exists on trunk, CVS writes an internal representation different
to what I see in your repository for this file.

I'm at a loss to explain how your repository came to be this way, but I
can tell you that cvs2git is faithfully rendering what your repository
says into git.

Max.