Re: wip: functions median and percentile

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: wip: functions median and percentile
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Median may be useful, but we pretty much can't just call it
> "median." Instead, we need to call it something like "left_median"
> or "arithmetic_median."
I think it would be reasonable, and perhaps preferable, to use just
"median" for the semantics described in most dictionaries -- for
example, this:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/median
If you do a google search for "median" and poke around, you'll find
many places where this is the only definition mentioned; the others
seem to be rather infrequently used.  Why not make the commone usage
convenient?
-Kevin

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!
От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: wip: functions median and percentile