Re: Using more tha one index per table

От Craig James
Тема Re: Using more tha one index per table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 7/23/10 2:22 AM, Torsten Zühlsdorff wrote:

>>> The docs pages could perhaps benefit from an auto-generated note saying:
>>>
>>> "The current version of Pg is 8.4. This documentation is for version
>>> 8.2. Click [here] for documentation on the current version."
>>>
>>> ... or something to that effect. It'd be a nice (and more user-friendly)
>>> alternative to url twiddling when searches reveal docs for an old
>>> version, and might help push the /current/ pages up in search rank too.
>>
>> In addition, why not use symlinks so that the current version is
>> simply called "current", as in
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-insert.html
>>
>> If you google for "postgres insert", you get this:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-insert.html
>>
>> The problem is that Google ranks pages based on inbound links, so
>> older versions of Postgres *always* come up before the latest version
>> in page ranking.
>
> Since 2009 you can deal with this by defining the canonical-version.
> (http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html)

This is a really cool feature, but it's not what we need.  The "canonical" refers to the URL, not the web page.  It's
onlysupposed to be used if you have multiple URLs that are actually the *same* page; the "canonical" URL tells Google
"useonly this URL for this page."

But in our case, the Postgres manuals for each release have different URLs *and* different content, so the "canonical
URL"isn't the right solution.

Craig