Re: Can WAL files be shipped to multiple servers?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Can WAL files be shipped to multiple servers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steeles wrote:
> also, once the target PG database receives WAL files and update its
> own database, can I run pg_dump to dump all the data when it is in
> recovery mode?

Not while it's in recovery mode.  If you upgrade to the soon to be
released PostgreSQL 9.0, it's possible to bring the server up in Hot
Standby mode, which will allow pg_dump to execute against the standby.
Note that you have to be careful to tune the standby for this, as
pg_dump will act like a really long running transaction and there's a
risk of it being canceled if activity on the master conflicts with what
it's trying to dump.