prepared statements

От Scott Frankel
Тема prepared statements
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm working with prepared statements directly in pg for the first time
and have a couple of questions.

Does a prepared statement used to insert into a table need to insert
into all columns of the table? I've found that, for a table with a
serial sequence key as its first column, I have to specify the key in
my prepared statement or I get type errors:  ERROR:  column "foo_id"
is of type integer but expression is of type character varying.

What's the best way to specify the next value for the serial sequence
key if subqueries are not allowed in a prepared statement's execute
parameter:  ERROR:  cannot use subquery in EXECUTE parameter

For example, given the following table definition:
CREATE TABLE foo (
    foo_id                SERIAL        PRIMARY KEY,
    name                VARCHAR(32)    UNIQUE NOT NULL,
    description            TEXT,
    body                TEXT        DEFAULT NULL,
    created                timestamp    DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
    UNIQUE                (name));

What's the best way to insert several records that have lots of
special characters in the "body" column?  eg:

PREPARE fooprep (int, VARCHAR(32), text, text) AS
     INSERT INTO foo VALUES ($1, $2, $3, $4);
EXECUTE (fooprep
(SELECT nextval('foo_id_seq')),
'foo1',
'this is foo1',